Peer Advising Program (formerly the Peer Counselling Program) - Senior Peer Advisor Posting
CONTRACT PERIOD: September 25, 2017 – April 4, 2018
It is expected that Senior Peer Advisors will work a total of 40-45 hours throughout the academic year, in addition to specific academic events. Senior Peer Advisors will be offered an honorarium of $250, which will be paid at the end of the academic year. This position is in the process of being recognized on the Co-Curricular Record.
Trinity College Senior Peer Advisors are upper-year Trinity College students who provide guidance and support to their peers throughout the academic year. Successful applicants must have at least one prior year of experience in the Peer Advisor program (formerly the Peer Counsellor program). They are responsible for helping to serve as a bridge between the student body and academic community at the College. The Senior Peer Advisor also plays a key role in acting as a resource for other Peer Advisors.
- Must be registered as a Trinity College student in good standing throughout the term of appointment.
- Attend mandatory Training offered by Student Services and Academic Dons
- Attend and deliver mandatory training to Peer Advisors with Academic Dons
- Provide guidance to peers about specific academic programs they are enrolled in.
- Act as a resource for all academic programming from the Registrar’s and Dean’s Offices.
- Support and attend Don programming within academic areas.
- Co-organize (with Academic Dons) and attend at least 1 low table each term.
- Coordinate and run at least 2 academic related events each term.
- Attend and participate in Program Enrolment Event in early February
- Attend and participate in the Trinity College Undergraduate Research Conference (TCURC).
- Act as a resource for other Peer Advisors.
- Attend regular (weekly/bi-weekly) planning meetings with Student Services staff and Academic Dons
A training session will be provided to Senior Peer Advisors during early October, by Student Services and Academic Dons. Also help to develop and deliver the general peer advisor training with the Academic Dons.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
As Trinity College Peer Advisors act as ambassadors for the College, they are expected to adhere to all non-Academic Policies of the College and University of Toronto, including, but not limited to; the Trinity College Code of Student Conduct and the University of Toronto Code of Student Conduct. Trinity College Senior Peer Advisors are expected to abide by the terms of their contract, and must acknowledge that they have read their job description. By submitting an application for the Senior Peer Advisor position, applicants acknowledge that the Registrar’s Office will be reviewing their academic history to determine suitability for appointment to this academic mentorship position.
HOW TO APPLY: Please e-mail email@example.com and attach the following:
- Cover letter (2 pages maximum)
Your cover letter should include why you are a suitable candidate to be a Senior Peer Advisor, and how you are involved in the Trinity College community and/or communities outside of Trinity College? Please include relevant leadership experience.
As a Senior Peer Advisor applicant, please also ensure your cover letter includes:
- What events did you organize/participate in this past year?
- How have you benefited from this program?
- What would you do differently?
- How you plan to support your fellow Peer Advisors.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, September 17th, 2017
All applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday, September 17th, 2017. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please e-mail the Associate Registrar, Jerome Chang, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.