The specifications for the academic hoods symbolizing the degrees awarded now or formerly by Trinity College are:
- L.Th., B.Th. Black stuff edged with dark blue silk four inches wide.
- B.D. Black silk, lined with black silk, with an edging of scarlet cord.
- M.T.S. Black silk with two-inch dark blue silk inner border.
- M.Div., S.T.B. Black silk lined with dark blue silk.
- Th.M. Navy blue silk lined with scarlet silk.
- D.Min. Oxford Burgon shape. Scarlet wool broadcloth lined with red silk. Two inch black silk outer border, turned over inside one-half inch.
- Th.D., D.D. Scarlet cloth (Oxford shade), lined with black silk.
- D.S.Litt. Oxford Burgon shape. Scarlet wool broadcloth lined with red silk. Two inch black silk inner border, turned over outside one-half inch.
The shape of the hood,with the exception of the D.Min. and the D.S.Litt., shall be the same as that in use in the University of Cambridge.
Application to Graduate
Students who intend to graduate in May will have to complete the Application to Graduate form before December 7th. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all of the requirements of their program of study are completed.
Convocation takes place in Strachan Hall at 8:00 p.m. in May of each year (usually the second Tuesday of May). Graduands will gather in the front hall by the Porter's Lodge at 7:30 p.m. with an academic gown and (optional) hood.
Hoods - Graduands who wish to rent or purchase a hood for the Convocation ceremonies are advised to contact DSR Harcourts Ltd, 19 Duncan Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2B9, 416-977-4408. This company has supplied robes and hoods for Trinity College and knows the College's standards for design. Please note: If you choose to supply your hood, you will carry the hood on your arm until the awarding of the degree, after which you may wear it. For those who do not bring a hood, the Registrar will have one on hand with which to confer the degree, but it will be removed immediately for use with the next student.
Gowns - Academic gowns must be worn. You may purchase your own or borrow one in the Boardroom on the night. You do not need to reserve one in advance, as there will be an ample supply on hand. D.Min. students, however, should contact Bruce Ferguson 416 978-6176 to borrow a D.Min. gown.
Photographs - The student Heads of Divinity will advise graduands in due course for fall photo day arrangements.
Invitations - Invitations will be distributed at the beginning of April. We estimate that we will be able to supply each graduand with eight invitations, which may be used to invite friends and family to Convocation ceremonies.