About Graham Library
The John W. Graham Library embodies nearly two centuries of vision, energy, and commitment to the academic enterprise of Trinity College.
Today the Graham Library is located in the Munk School of Global Affairs (formerly Devonshire House), occupying a heritage building renewed for the 21st-century, with 200,000 volumes, convenient technological resources, and fine study spaces. The Library serves primarily Trinity's undergraduate Arts and Science students, the graduate Divinity students and faculty of Trinity and Wycliffe Colleges, Trinity and Wycliffe alumni/ae, and the greater University of Toronto and Anglican Church communities who seek our resources. Subject strengths reflect the academic programs and interests of the two colleges: e.g., international relations, ethics, literature in English, philosophy, theology, Anglican church history, biblical studies.
- In 1827 John Strachan, the first Bishop of Toronto, secured 400 books from the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, now held in Graham Library's Special Collections (See the SPCK Collection for more information). The collection was to be the foundation for the future library of King's College.
- John Strachan went on to found the University of Trinity College in 1851, after King's College became the University of Toronto. The University of Trinity College was located in what is today known as Trinity Bellwoods Park, on Queen Street West and included a library.
- Trinity College moved to the main University of Toronto Campus in 1925, where the new library was to be located in Seeley Hall. However, the library remained in the basement level of Trinity College until 2000 when the John W. Graham Library opened in the renovated Munk School of Global Affairs building.
- The year 2000 also marked the official merger of Trinity College and Wycliffe College's theological collections. John W. Graham Library continues to provide library services and theological study resources to both Trinity and Wycliffe College theology students today.
- The John W. Graham Library is named in tribute to lawyer, businessman, and active member of the Trinity and Anglican Church community, John Webb Graham, through the generosity of his son Edward S. (Ted) Rogers (5T7).
The Munk School of Global Affairs Building
- The Munk School of Global Affairs building houses both Graham Library, and also the Munk School of Global Affairs at Trinity College.
- Architect Eden Smith, 1906-7 designed the building in Arts & Crafts tradition, and it was a student residence, Devonshire House, until 1997.
- The shared building opened in 2000 after a major renovation designed by Tom Payne of Kuwabara, Payne, McKenna, Blumberg Architects. The entire interior of the building was gutted and modernized, with the exception of the central fireplace stack.
Photo credits from top to bottom: Graham Library West Entrance, Graham Library; Entrance Gates to Old Trinity, and the Library from Trinity College, Toronto, Toronto: Trinity College, 1914. Library Call Number: Special Collections LE3 .T733 T74 1914