Borrowing and Fines
- Current students, faculty and staff of the University of Toronto with valid library cards
- Trinity and Wycliffe College alumni/ae and clergy of the Anglican Church of Canada. See Guide to Library Services for Divinity Alumni/ae for more details.
- U of T alumni/ae and researchers from other institutions may purchase borrowing privileges for the University of Toronto Library system from Robarts Library.
Other members of the public are welcome to use material within the library.
Current students, faculty and staff
University of Toronto library cards (T-Cards) must be obtained at the T-Card Office, room 102 in the Koffler Student Service Centre, 214 College St.
Trinity and Wycliffe alumni/ae and members of the Anglican clergy
Extramural cards may be obtained at the Circulation Desk of the Graham Library, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm. Please provide a current piece of photo ID. These cards provide borrowing privileges to the Graham Library only.
Public or External Researchers
Cards are available for purchase at the Robarts Library Reader Registration desk.
- All items signed out to your account are your responsibility.
- You must return all Graham Library items to the Graham Library on or before the due date in order to avoid fines. Patrons with unpaid fines may be blocked from obtaining transcripts.
- It is the borrower’s responsibility to keep track of due dates. To check the status of your account, call or come in person to the Circulation Desk. You can also go to the University of Toronto Libraries website and access your account online at My Account. Most items may be renewed (other than short-term-loan [STL] items or periodicals).
- You are responsible for keeping your contact information up to date. You can update your information by logging into My Account on the University of Toronto Libraries website. *Please note: updating your information on ROSI does not automatically update your library account information.
Regular loan periods vary by borrower type:
- Undergraduates and external borrowers: 14 days (two weeks)
- Graduate students and staff: 28 days (four weeks)
- Faculty: 42 days (six weeks)
- All items are subject to recall after two weeks.
- Most periodicals may be borrowed overnight.
- Theses and reference materials are for “in-library use” only.
- Most audio-visual material may be borrowed overnight or for three days.
- Current faculty, staff, and students may renew regular loans three times as long as there are no holds on the items. External borrowers can renew items once.
- Once an item has reached its renewal limit, it must be returned to the Graham Library. If there are no holds on it, it may be signed out again.
- Course Reserves cannot be renewed, and must remain in the library for two hours before they can be signed out by the same person.
- By phone: call 416-978-5851 during opening hours
- In person at the Graham Library Circulation Desk
- Return all UT Library books to the library from which they were borrowed.
- All course reserves and fragile material should be returned to a staff member at the Circulation Desk. During opening hours, please use the drop slot located at the Circulation Desk.
After hours, there is a drop slot beside the library doors that face the main Trinity College building.
How can I place a hold on an item?
Holds can only be placed on items currently checked out.
- Online: find the item record in the catalogue and use the “Request” button.
- By phone: call 416-978-5851 during opening hours.
- In person: see staff at the Graham Library Circulation Desk.
- All items may be recalled after they have been out for two weeks.
- To initiate a recall of a Trinity item, contact the Circulation Desk either in person or by phone (416-978-5851).
- Request storage items by locating the call number in the catalogue, and giving this to Circulation Desk staff.
- Books in Storage or Wycliffe Storage normally have regular loan periods.
- Periodicals from Storage are for in-library use only.
- Storage retrievals are done on demand and take about five minutes.
- Request course reserve material at the Circulation Desk.
Reserves have one of the following loan periods:
- Two hours
- Overnight, due at 9:30 the next morning
- Three days, due at closing on the third day
- No holds or renewals are possible on course reserves.
- The late fine for all loan perioods of course reservees is $0.50/hour.
- Please see Access to Collections.
- In person at the Circulation Desk
- By phone: 416-978-5851
- Online: log into My Account
- Regular loans: $.50/day
- Course reserves: $.50/hour
- Recalled items: $2/day if not returned after two days
- Damaged item fee: $45.
- Lost item fee: replacement cost to the library plus $45.
- In person: cash, cheque, debit, Visa, MasterCard, American Express
- By phone (416-978-5851): Visa, MasterCard, American Express
- Debit/credit payments are only accepted for payments $5 or more.
- Fines for lost or damaged items must be paid at the owning library.
- All other fines can be paid at the Graham Library.
- Partial payments (minimum $10) are accepted at the Graham Library. Some exceptions apply.
- Fines paid at the Graham Library are removed from your account immediately.
Fines may occasionally be waived in extenuating circumstances. Please speak to Susan Bond or Adrienne Jones at the Circulation Desk to inquire. Note that medical or other documentation is normally required to reduce or forgive fines. Fines will not be excused for the following reasons, among others:
- Did not renew item on time
- Forgot the due date
- Did not receive a courtesy or overdue notice
- Was not able to renew online
- Was unaware of library policies
- Borrowed the item for someone else
- Returned late by someone else
- Did not report TCard stolen