Frequently Asked Questions


How do I Apply for Residence?

Incoming First Year - All residence applications for incoming students are directed through MyRes, which is operated by the University of Toronto Housing Services.  You must confirm your interest in residence on MyRes by March 31, 2016 to qualify for the first year housing guarantee, then rank your residence preferences upon admission to the University.  MyRes is then a gateway to the Trinity Online Residence Application, which must be completed by June 1st, 2016 (11:59 EST).  More information is found on the Housing Services websiteFirst priority in Trinity buildings is given to those admitted to Trinity College.

ProFac (Professional Faculty) - Trinity only accepts a few incoming first year PROFAC students into residence each year, and will only consider those applicants who rank Trinity residences first.  Upper year PROFACS who have lived in Trinity residences may apply for readmission through the Re-Admission process.  Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students directly for more information.

Transfer Student - Transfer students are not covered by the guarantee and must apply through the Re-Admission process or appeal directly to the Dean of Students for a discretionary space.

Graduate Student - Trinity is an undergraduate college and does not accept applications from graduate students.


What are the rooms like?

We have beautiful, old, historical buildings.  Roughly half of our residence students live in each of Trinity (6 Hoskin) and the other half are in St. Hilda's College (44 Devonshire).  The residences are fully amalgamated with shared facilities in both buildings.  The rooms tend to be a bit larger than the newer dormitories elsewhere on campus.  However, the rooms come in many shapes and sizes and it is difficult to list the size or shape of rooms (a common question!).  First year students live in a mix of double and single rooms.


Can I see my room before I move in?

Unfortunately, we are not able to show your specific room over the summer as most are in use by our summer residents.  


Is it possible for me to visit the College before I arrive in September?

Yes! A College tour is a great way to see all that Trinity has to offer! Trinity runs tours throughout the entire year, with a few exceptions. To find out more information and to register for a College Tour, please click HERE.

For any further questions, please contact the Dean of Students' Office at 416-978-3612 or


Are the rooms furnished?  What should I bring?

Each room has a standard complement of furniture, comprising: a single bed, wardrobe/chest of drawers, desk and chair, lamp, telephone.  Most rooms also have a small closet.  Do NOT bring your own furniture or mattress (e.g., bed, book case) as there is no space in the rooms for this and we do not have storage space for excess furniture.  If you have medical or accessibility-related needs requiring your own furniture or devices, this must be approved by the Dean’s Office prior to move in and will require medical documentation.

Items to Bring:

  • Clothes
  • Bedding for a single bed
  • Toiletries
  • Laundry detergent
  • Your computer
  • Books
  • Items to personalize your room (If you want to put up posters you should use poster mounts and avoid nailing.) 

To avoid overloading the electrical circuit (fire hazard), please limit electrical equipment in your room to small electrical appliances, such as computers, printers, lamps, clocks, radios, stereos, coffee makers and personal styling items. You may also wish to bring a small “bar” fridge, or to rent one from an off-campus service upon arrival on campus.  In the interest of fire prevention and energy reduction, please ensure that electrical items are turned off when you are not in your room. 

The following items are NOT permitted within the residence rooms:  

  • Hot plates
  • Halogen lamps
  • Toaster ovens
  • Electric heaters 

All students are responsible for ensuring that any electrical equipment is in good working order. Cooking in rooms is not permitted and can set off the fire alarm.  If you are not sure about particular equipment, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students.


Is the College equipped with services for Persons with mobility restrictions?  

Unfortunately, Trinity College residence is not yet wheelchair accessible and St. Hilda’s College has limited accessibility.  We urge those with accessibility needs to contact the Dean’s Office prior to applying for residence such that we can assess our ability to meet your needs.  If we cannot meet your needs, there are many readily accessible residences at the University, and we will work with you and Accessibility Services to find suitable housing, honouring the residence guarantee.

The Library, George Ignatieff Theatre, Chapel, Strachan Hall, Buttery, Larkin Building, and the ground floor of 6 Hoskin Avenue (where the administrative offices are located) are all wheelchair accessible. 


What will my new mailing address be in residence?

Residence room assignments will be sent out over the summer, and will specify your room and building, also providing you with information about your roommate if you have been assigned to a double room.


For St. Hilda’s College Residence:

Your Name
Room Number
St. Hilda's College
44 Devonshire Place, Toronto, ON, M5S2E2


For Trinity College Residence:

Your Name
Room Number
Trinity College
6 Hoskin Ave, Toronto, ON, M5S1H8


Parcels can be accepted by the porter’s offices, but if you need something signed for, be aware that while porters are on duty 24/7, sometimes they will need to leave the office to perform security rounds. Porters are not able to pay for parcels (Cash on Delivery/COD). 


Can I request a roommate?

Please indicate on your residence application form whether there is anyone in particular you would like to room with or live near. We will do our best to accommodate your request.Please note that while we make every effort to accommodate individual preferences, this is not always possible.


Am I required to have a meal plan?  What if I have dietary restrictions?

All students living in Trinity residences must participate in the meal plan.  We offer a variety of meal options, including vegetarian, halal, and most recently vegan.

Working closely with our food service provider, we will do our best to accommodate dietary restrictions.  However, it is your responsibility to contact the Dean’s Office prior to your decision to live in residence, in order to determine if your needs can be accommodated.  It is not always possible for us to accommodate all dietary requirements. 


Can I cook in residence?

There are kitchenettes available for student use in St. Hilda’s, but not in Trinity.   If you have dietary restrictions which may require you to prepare some of your own food, you are strongly advised to request a room in St. Hilda’s on your  residence application, such that we can incorporate these requests into our room assignment process (usually completed in June).   Please contact the Dean's Office as soon as possible if you forgot to put this on your application.


Are laundry facilities available to students?

Yes. Laundry facilities are available, on a pay-per-use basis, in both residences. Laundry Alert, a service that allows users to check machine availability on-line, is now available. It is $2.00 for washing and $1.50 for the use of the dryer. A $10 deposit is also required to use the laundry facilities (this deposit is refunded once the laundry card is returned). 


Is storage for sporting equipment available?

Limited storage is available for sporting equipment on campus. Storage is given on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no additional cost.

Limited indoor bicycle storage is also available at St. Hilda's on a first-come, first-served basis at no additional cost. There are also many outdoor bike racks that students can use. Please make sure to bring a bike lock with you!


Is there a residence desk open 24 Hours?

Yes. There is a Porter’s Lodge located in each residence building. Both are open 24-hours a day. Students can access these desks for maintenance concerns, safety concerns, and other general inquiries.


What if I leave residence part-way through the year?

Those who move into residence, but withdraw before September 30th, will have their fees pro-rated to the move-out date plus a $1600 charge (equivalent to that of Deposit #1 and Deposit #2 which you will have already paid).

Those who withdraw prior to February 01, 2017 will have their fees pro-rated to the move-out date, and will be charged a $2,500 early move-out fee.  Full charges apply from February 01, 2017 until the end of the year.  This is clearly articulated in the residence agreement (part of the application) and we recommend you print or save the full application prior to final submission.  Requests (based on extenuating circumstances) for exceptions to these policy stipulations may be presented to the Dean for consideration.


Can I stay in residence over the Winter break? 

The Residence will be closing on Wednesdasy December 21 at 12:00pm. Residents are only permitted to remain in residence over the winter break period (i.e., between academic terms) if exceptional circumstances are demonstrated. This will require meeting with the Dean or Assistant Dean and their subsequent approval. There is a charge fore each night spent in residence over the winter break.  Please note that there is no meal service during the break. NOTE: following winter break, residences will re-open on Wednesday January 4, 2017.


What About Reading Week?

The College remains open during Reading Week (February) and students may stay at the College during this time.


Can I Live in Residence After 1st Year?

Approximately half of our residents are upper year students.  Students wishing to return to residence after 1st year must apply through the Trinity College Admission and Re-Admission Policy.  All students re-applying are encouraged to fully read and understand this policy.  The re-admission process is multi-tiered and has Lottery, Community Involvement, Academic Achievement and Dean's Discretionary categories and is managed by the Office of the Dean of Students.  The re-admission process is launched early in winter term (early February) and information is circulated at that time.

Students registered with the University who have International Status (i.e., those paying foreign fees) are given a 2-year guarantee, as determined by registration information.  


Can I smoke in residence?

Trinity College residences are strictly non-smoking buildings.