George Ignatieff, A Canadian Ambassador of Peace
George Ignatieff was the Provost of Trinity College from 1972 to 1978. The theatre is named in his honour.
In 1984, he received the Pearson Peace Medal by the United Nations Association in Canada. The Pearson Peace Medal recognizes, in Lester B. Pearson’s name, Canadians who, through voluntary work or other efforts, have contributed to those causes for which Lester Pearson stood: aid to the developing world, mediation between those confronting one another with arms, succor to refugees and others in need, and peaceful change through world law and world organizations.
George Ignatieff enjoyed a distinguished career in international service. He was Canadian Ambassador to Yugoslavia from 1956 to 1958 and Assistant Under-Secretary of State for External Affairs from 1960 to 1962. In successive appointments between 1963 and 1972, he was Canada’s permanent representative to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization; the United Nations, including the Security Council; the Committee on Disarmament; the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and the United Nations in Geneva. he was a Companion of the Order of Canada, a member of the Atlantic Council and the Canadian Pugwash Group on Disarmament, and former President of the United Nations Association in Canada.
Construction of the theatre was completed in 1979 and the theatre opened on 12 November. Since then, the theatre has hosted lectures, conferences, music, dance and theatre events created by members of the Trinity College community, the U of T community, Greater Toronto and beyond. In 1999, thanks to the financial support of students, alumni, and the College corporation, the theatre systems were renewed, the lobby was expanded, and the physical plant was refreshed. In 2008, further renewal of the theatre has doubled the capability of the lighting for performances. In 2010, the Theatre received a generous grant from the student's capital campaign and was able to undergo an extensive upgrade of our lighting & sound systems.