Employment Opportunity: Welcome Desk Assistant
Appointment Type: Part-time, contract, 10 positions
Classification & Hiring Range: Hourly, $19.00 per hour
Reports to: Manager of Residence Operations
Trinity College is a vibrant and diverse academic community with a rich history and excellent local and international reputation. Since its founding in 1851, the College has valued and fostered a high level of academic achievement with some 2,000 currently registered students, 450 of whom live at the College. Trinity College grounds comprise spectacular historic buildings, and the College is among the smallest and most prestigious colleges on the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. Trinity’s campus currently consists of four main buildings and is located in the central Toronto downtown core, steps from the Bloor-St. George subway and Queen’s Park. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated leader to bring coordination and oversight to a diverse range of activities, events and bookings at the College, integrating existing internal institutional needs while pursuing business development opportunities for the College.
The Welcome Desk Assistant provides various services to members of the Trinity College community – students, staff, dons, parents, visitors, alumni – as the frontline staff, responsible for the Welcome Desk’s daily operation. The Trinity College Welcome Desks provide service to community members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round. During their shifts, the Welcome Desk Assistant provides excellent customer service to all constituents of the College, provides solutions for general inquiries, and communicates with constituents and EMS during emergency situations. The Welcome Desk Assistant is an exemplary team player, is a master at multi-tasking, and at exercising tact and is critical to the operation and welcoming atmosphere of the College.
- Acts as frontline staff for Trinity College, answering inquiries and problem solving for community members;
- Monitors access to the residence buildings, including identifying residents, directing guests and visitors, recognising suspicious incidents and enacting appropriate protocols to deal with incidents;
- Utilizes the StarRez database for residence occupant management, check ins and outs, parcel tracking, and any further functions as instructed;
- Establishes positive rapport with community members by being visible, approachable, and providing timely solutions;
- Handles desk cash float, taxi chits, point-of-sale receipts, and files appropriately at end of each shift;
- Initiates emergency procedures when necessary, and acts quickly and calmly to direct constituents when necessary i.e. contacting Dons, Dean of Students on-call staff, Facilities staff, etc.;
- Assists in the support of the operational needs of the Office of the Dean of Students, dependent upon the cycle of the year.
- Registered as a student at the University of Toronto (required);
- Successful completion of one year of study (preferred).
- Previous experience working with University students and/or in an administrative, or customer service environment;
- Experience working with residence applications, processes and a residence admissions system is strongly preferred.
It will be crucial for the successful candidate to have sound judgment and reliability, with the ability to work in a busy and sometimes unpredictable environment. A demonstrated ability to maintain diplomacy is critical. The ability to manage a complex set of competing priorities, while exercising common sense, tact, and discretion are essential. A strong commitment to improving and enhancing the student experience, demonstrated knowledge of customer service and information communication standards of practice in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), thorough knowledge of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) is of utmost importance.
Part-time, 12-24 hours per week, days, evenings, weekends, and holidays, including 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. shifts if assigned. Required to participate in 3 shifts per week at 4 hours per shift.
Submit resume and covering letter to:
https://secure.trinity.utoronto.ca/Resume/?Stream=Welcome%20Desk%20Assistant Only applications with both cover letters and resumes and submitted through Trinity’s online application system will be considered.
Job posting: August 6, 2019
Applications will be accepted until: August 13, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Applications will be reviewed as received.
Trinity College is a federated university in the University of Toronto and offers excellent employment opportunities with exceptional benefits. The College is a culturally diverse community that sustains a tradition of academic excellence and provides a vibrant and welcoming community of students, faculty, alumni and staff.
Trinity College is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity. If you need this job posting in an alternative format or if you require accommodation measures, please contact us at email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.