Peer Advising Program - Peer Advisor Posting
REPOREPOST *Please read carefully*
General applications have closed now. We are now only accepting applications from Trinitiy College students with Specialists/Majors/Minors in the following disciplines:
- Cells/System Biology/EEB
- Computer Science
- Any Asian Studies
- Political Science
- Indigenous Studies
- Canadian Studies
CONTRACT PERIOD: August 25, 2018 – April 5, 2019
It is expected that Peer Advisors will work approximately 20-25 hours throughout the academic year, in addition to specific academic events. This position is in the process of being recognized on the Co-Curricular Record.
Trinity College Peer Advisors are upper-year Trinity College students who provide guidance and support to their peers throughout the Fall/Winter academic year. They are responsible for helping to serve as a bridge between the student body and academic community at the College. This position is in the process of being recognized on the Co-Curricular Record.
- Must be registered as a Trinity College student in good standing throughout the term of appointment.
- Attend mandatory Mentorship Foundations Training offered by Student Life, Mentorship and Peer Programs
- Attend mandatory Training offered by Senior Peer Advisors and Academic Dons
- Assist in delivering TRIN101 Day (Monday, September 3, 2018) during Orientation Week with Student Services
- Will provide guidance to peers about specific academic programs they are enrolled in
- Act as a resource for all Student Services academic programming and initiatives.
- Be a student resource for all academic programming.
- Support and attend Don programming within academic area.
- Attend and participate in the Trinity College Undergraduate Research Conference (TCURC).
- Co-organize (with Academic Dons) and attend at least 2 low tables each term.
In addition to the Mentorship Foundations Training offered by Student Life, a training session will be provided to Peer Advisors by the Academic Dons and Senior Peer Advisors, in September.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
As Trinity College Peer Advisors act as ambassadors for the College, they are expected to adhere to all non-Academic Policies of the College and University of Toronto, including, but not limited to; the Trinity College Code of Student Conduct and the University of Toronto Code of Student Conduct. Trinity College Peer Advisors are expected to abide by the terms of their contract, and must acknowledge that they have read their job description. By submitting an application for the Peer Counsellor position, applicants acknowledge that the Registrar’s Office will be reviewing their academic history to determine suitability for appointment to this academic mentorship position.
HOW TO APPLY: Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the following:
- Transcript (of Degree Explorer is fine)
- Cover letter (2 pages maximum)
Your cover letter should include why you are a suitable candidate to be a peer advisor, and how you are involved in the Trinity College community and/or communities outside of Trinity College?
If you are a new applicant, please also include the answers to the following questions in your cover letter:
- What academic issues did you (and/or your peers) encounter transitioning to university? Please pick one and suggest how you might help advise a student on it as a peer advisor.
- Please describe an event/program you helped to organize and your role. If you do not have an example, please think of a program you would organize as a peer advisor, and how you would implement it
If you are a returning applicant (a former peer advisor), please also include the answers to the following questions in your cover letter:
- What events did you organize/participate in this past year?
- How have you benefited from this program?
- What would you do differently?
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, May 6th, 2018
All applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday, May 6th, 2018. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please e-mail the Associate Registrar, Jerome Chang, at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.