Period of Employment: September 2018 - April 2019
Student Assistants are responsible for all of the shelving and shelf-maintenance at the library. They also perform many of the circulation functions at the library (such as signing out books and accepting fine payments). There are shifts where the library is run by two student assistants with no supervision.
- student at the University of Toronto
- good written and excellent verbal communication skills
- ability to work with computers
- ability to use stairs, push heavy book trucks, lift boxes of books, and use a backpack to carry books to and from other St. George campus libraries
- attention to detail
- exceptional customer service skills
- Interprets and enforces library policies and emergency and security procedures.
- Charges, discharges, and renews library materials; checks shelves for overdue materials; updates or corrects the borrower information in borrower records.
- Retrieves material from Storage; places holds on items; assists with searching for items that are out of place; processes new books.
- Retrieves and returns materials from other University of Toronto libraries on the St. George Campus.
- Scans material to support the library's course reserves and document delivery services.
- Sorts and shelves items, regularly checks shelves to ensure that the books are in order.
- Maintains photocopiers/printers; troubleshoots and provides basic instructions to users of the printer, photocopiers, cash-to-card machine, and scanners.
- Takes group study room bookings.
- Handles cash: accepts fine payments; documents all fine payments received; provides change for the copiers, takes cash box counts on a regular basis.
- Takes counts of items used in-house, documents and files manual loans, takes regular counts of library users in the library at prescribed times.
- Answers directional questions; refers library users to appropriate personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hours per Week: Monday through Sunday. Shift work (includes days, evenings, and weekends). 6-12 hours.
Hourly Rate: $15.00/hour