Trinity: 1850 to the Present

"History of the University of Trinity College, Toronto, 1852-1952": edited by TA Reed

History of the Faculty of Divinity at Trinity College

Heritage: U of T Chronology

 

archives2016

The College has been building a future for Trinity’s past—the new Trinity College Archives will open this year.
booksale2015

Trinity’s endowments reached $90 million; the Friends of the Library celebrated its 40th annual Book Sale; and the College enhanced its Health and Wellness program and launched the Anne Steacy Counselling Initiative.
trinityoneprogram2014

Trinity established two new streams in the Margaret MacMillan Trinity One Program: Anne Steacy Biomedical Health and Anne Steacy Health Science and Society.
billgrahamcentre2013

The Bill Graham Centre for Contemporary International History opened. The Centre is a collaborative academic enterprise between Trinity College and the Munk School of Global Affairs.
trinityone20052005

In September, Trinity introduced a new program for first-year students— Trinity One (later named the Margaret MacMillan Trinity One Program) in the International Relations and Ethics streams. The Public Policy stream started in 2012.
grahamlibrary2000

The John W. Graham Library opened; previously, the library was located in the basement level of the main building.
chapel1995

Through the generosity of Trinity alumni and friends, the Humphrys Chaplaincy was endowed at the College. This was followed by the Margaret E. Fleck Chair in Anglican Studies, the positions of the Rolph-Bell Archivist and the Nicholls Librarian, and the Raymond Pryke Chair in the Margaret MacMillan Trinity One Program.
trinityone1998

Trinity now sponsored three interdisciplinary undergraduate programs on behalf of the Faculty of Arts & Science: International Relations (1976), Immunology (1984) and Ethics, Society and Law (1988).
theatre1979

Named after Trinity’s 9th Provost, the George Ignatieff Theatre opened on November 12.
uoft trinity merge1974

The Memorandum of Understanding between Trinity College and the University of Toronto was signed; Trinity’s undergraduate program became fully integrated with the University’s Faculty of Arts & Science.
gerald larkin1961

Opening on January 15, the new academic building was named in honour of Gerald Larkin, one of Trinity’s most important benefactors.
chapel inaugration1955

Trinity College Chapel opened in October. Until then, Seeley Hall had been the College Chapel.
st hildas1943

Together with Emmanuel, Knox and Wycliffe Colleges, the Faculty of Divinity formed the future Toronto School of Theology (established in 1969), which joined the University of Toronto in 1978 to grant degrees conjointly.
st hildas1938

The new St. Hilda’s residence building on Devonshire Place opened; in 2004, all residences at Trinity became coeducational.
trinity 19251925

The College acquired its present property on Hoskin Avenue in 1913, but construction was not completed until 1925 because of the war. The foundation stone for the new building was laid on June 4, 1923, and the College held its formal opening and dedication ceremony on October 21, 1925.
uof trinity federation1904

Trinity federated with the University of Toronto on October 1; this also saw the cessation of the Trinity Medical College and the Faculties of Law, Dentistry and Music.
st hildas1888

St. Hilda’s College was created as the women’s college of Trinity; it was incorporated on February 11, 1890.
first female students1884

The College admitted its first female students.
trinity medical school1870

Trinity Medical School opened in 1870 (later the Trinity Medical College).
john strachan1867

The Right Rev’d John Strachan died on November 1.
trinity 18501850-1852

Founded by the Right Rev’d John Strachan, Trinity College purchased its original site on Queen Street West in 1850. Trinity College was incorporated and the cornerstone was laid on April 30, 1851. On January 15, 1852, the College opened. Also in 1852, the Cobourg Diocesan Theological Institute (which had begun teaching in 1842) became the Faculty of Divinity in the new Trinity College.