Trinity College held a celebration of the Holy Eucharist on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the consecration of the Trinity College Chapel on November 18. The inspiring celebration provided an opportunity for reflection and prayer, and for the community to reconnect with each other. At the service, The Rev’d Canon Dr. Alyson Barnett-Cowan gave a beautiful Homily.
Thank you to those who joined us and for those who delivered such a special service. To view photos from the service, please visit our Facebook page.
Presiding celebrant: The Most Rev’d Colin Johnson, Archbishop of Toronto and Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario
Homilist: The Rev’d Canon Dr Alyson Barnett-Cowan, President of the Canadian Council of Churches
Greeter: Matthew Kieswetter
Verger: Cliff Caunter
Thurifer: Mary-Cate Garden
Crucifer: Scott Harris
Acolytes: Celia Byrne; Thomas Slabon
Bishop’s chaplain: Adam Brown
Readers: Trevor Hume; Professor Mayo Moran, Provost and Vice-Chancellor of Trinity College
Intercessor: Dr Ivan McFarlane, Chair, Friends of the Chapel
MC: The Rev’d Andrea Budgey, Humphrys Chaplain
Gospeller & Deacon: The Rev’d Canon Dr David Neelands, Dean of Divinity and Margaret E. Fleck Chair of Anglican Studies
The Trinity College Choir: Music director, Dr. John Tuttle; Bevan organ scholar, Alastair Williams
Historical display by Sylvia Lassam, Rolph-Bell Archivist, and Mattie Bowman, Co-head of Divinity
Trinity College Chapel History:
For the first 30 years in the “new” location on Hoskin Avenue, Trinity’s chapel services were held in Seeley Hall, originally designed as the Library Reading Room. In 1953, work began on the present Chapel; work was completed in 1955 and it was consecrated the same year on November 20 by the Most Reverend William Wright, Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario, with various Bishops, Archbishops, Provosts and the Governor-General in attendance. The Chapel was a gift to the College from businessman Gerald Larkin, who orchestrated the substantial contribution of Canadian artists to the decorative features of the building.