Trinity College Roof Top View of the City
Home > Apply: Theology > International Students

International Students

The Faculty of Divinity at Trinity College is intimate, vibrant, ecumenical and international. Recent students have come to Trinity from across Canada and the United States, as well as Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, Africa, Caribbean and Scandinavia. Our current students are Anglican, Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox, Baptist and Mennonite.

Trinity is located in the heart of the University of Toronto campus, just minutes from downtown Toronto and conveniently located on two subway lines. Toronto is Canada’s largest and one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world. Trinity is affiliated with the Toronto School of Theology, the largest and most inclusive ecumenical theological enterprise in the world.

If you able to, please visit us for a campus tour – contact the Faculty of Divinity to make arrangements: or 416 978-2133. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Admission Requirements

Admission Requirements for academic prerequisites are the same for international and Canadian applicants. Review the requirements and how to apply for Trinity’s General and Professional Theological Education and Advanced Graduate Degrees. Applicants  whose  mother  tongue is not English, and who have not completed a previous degree in English, must demonstrate facility in the English language by taking one of the following tests and achieving the stated minimum result. Test results that are older than two years at the time of application cannot be accepted.

a)   Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): if the test is taken in paper format, overall 580 and 5 in Test of Written English; if the test is taken in internet format, 93 overall and at least 22 in each of the speaking and writing sections;

b)   International ESL-Academic Preparation Level 60 (Advanced) offered by the School of Continuing Studies at the University of Toronto. Required score: B;

c)   International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Required score: 7.0.

Tuition & Financial Assistance

As you international student, you will be charged different fees than domestic students unless you provide the Registrar at Trinity College with appropriate documentation from the Canada Immigration Board exempting you from the higher fees.

Students arriving in Canada on a student study permit will not be exempted from the higher fees: view tuition and other types of fees. As an international student, you may be considered for bursary assistance. However, like domestic students, international students and their families are expected to have reasonable financial plans to pay for the costs of a university education. Awards to international students will not be larger than the maximum awards made to domestic students.

Immigration & Study Permit

As an international student, you will need valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada. If you have been accepted by Trinity’s Faculty of Divinity, and you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you are responsible for obtaining a valid study permit. Click on the following links for more information about immigration documents and how to get your study permit.

Required documents to study in Canada

  • A valid passport
  • A Study Permit: If you want to study in Canada for more than six months (and are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) you will need to get a Study Permit before you arrive here.
  • A Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa or aneTA) before entering Canada.

It is your responsibility to make sure that all of your immigration and legal documents are maintained and up-to-date. You will be required to:

  • Provide Trinity College’s Registrar with a copy of your student study permit before the end of the first week of classes. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the Registrar each session or immediately upon a change in status in Canada.
  • Complete the Status in Canada Verification Form and provide it to the Faculty of Divinity Office by the first week of classes.


Newly-admitted students in Trinity’s Faculty of Divinity who have never before lived in the Trinity College residences are guaranteed a space in residence at the College, provided that all requirements are met. Please contact the Faculty of Divinity at or 416 978-2133. Click here for information about U of T on-campus and off campus housing information and options.

Health Insurance

As an international student, you are required to register for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for yourself and any of your dependents. UHIP helps to cover the cost of hospital and medical services you may need to maintain your health while in Canada. You are automatically enrolled in UHIP, and the coverage charge will be listed on ACORN/ROSI, your student account. You can contact the Faculty of Divinity Office or visit the UHIP’s website for complete details.

  • All full-time students are automatically members of the University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) and are automatically enrolled in the UTSU Health and Dental Insurance Plan and automatically receive medical and dental insurance coverage.
  • Part-time students should make private arrangements for an additional extended health plan to help cover the cost of prescription drugs, dental work and other benefits.

Support for International Students

The Centre for International Experience (CIE) offers a variety of services to assist you in your adaptation to Canada and the academic environment. You can meet at the CIE and participate in activities, especially of an international or multicultural nature. Trinity has its own CIE International Transition Advisor who comes weekly to the Trinity campus to meet with students.

For other information and resources, such as working while you study, living in Toronto, English language support, visit the CIE website.


12 Reasons We Love Toronto
Questions? Contact:

Faculty of Divinity