Student reading in her residence room
Home > Engage > Residence > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions




How do I apply to residence at Trinity?

Detailed information on applying to residence can be found in our Residence Admission Policy.

When do I need to pay for residence?

The residence and meal plan fees and due dates are listed on the Residence Fees page.

Am I required to have a meal plan? What if I have dietary restrictions?

All students living in the Trinity residences must participate in the meal plan. Unfortunately, we cannot make exceptions to this, but we are able to offer a variety of meal options, including vegetarian, halal, and vegan.

Working closely with our food service provider, we will do our best to accommodate dietary restrictions.  However, it is your responsibility to contact the Office of the Dean of Students prior to your decision to live in residence, in order to determine if your needs can be accommodated.  It is not always possible for us to accommodate all dietary requirements.

What if I leave residence part-way through the year?

Those who move into residence, but withdraw before September 30, 2023, will have their fees pro-rated to the move-out date plus a $2,000 charge (equivalent to that of Deposit #1 and Deposit #2 which you will have already paid).

Those who withdraw from October 1 to November 30, 2023 will have their fees pro-rated to the move-out date, and will be charged a $2,500 early move-out fee.

Those who withdraw from December 1, 2023 until the end of the residence contract are no longer eligible for a refund and will be charged the full residence fees.  This is clearly articulated in the Trinity College Residence Agreement which you will sign as a part of your application, and we recommend you print or save the full Agreement prior to final submission.  Requests (based on extenuating circumstances) for exceptions to these policy stipulations may be presented to the Dean of Students ( for consideration.

Can I live in residence after first year?

Yes! Approximately half of our residents are upper-year students! Students wishing to return to residence after first year should consult the Residence Admission for Upper-Years page.

Can I live in residence over the summer?

Yes. Trinity College is open for summer residence during the months of May through August. During this time, renovations and maintenance work are being done on our residence buildings, and as a result not all spaces are accessible or open to be lived in. For more information about summer residence, visit our Summer Residence page.

Can I move rooms within residence once the school year has started?

Moving rooms within an academic year is extremely unusual and is only permitted in particular circumstances. As our residence is typically full, often there are limited options for room switches. If you would like to inquire further about the possibility of switching rooms, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students (

What if I'm offered a space on the waiting list?

Usually students who are offered a space on the waiting list are newly admitted students who do not have the University of Toronto Residence Guarantee for First-Year Applicants or are upper-year students who have not been offered a space in the first round of residence admissions, due to space restrictions in our residences, or are applicants who are applying after the application deadline. If you are offered a place on the waiting list, no deposit will be required until the time at which you are offered a residence space. If you are offered a residence space from the waiting list, you will be required to pay a deposit of up to $2,000 by the deadline set by the Office of the Dean of Students in your offer letter in order to confirm your space in residence. If you are offered a space and decline the offer, you will be removed from the waiting list. If you would like to remove yourself from the waiting list for any reason prior to receiving an offer of a space in residence, please email the Office of the Dean of Students at to notify them of your intention.



What do the residence rooms look like?

Trinity College is made up of beautiful, old, historical buildings. Roughly half of our residence students live in each of Trinity (6 Hoskin Ave) and St. Hilda’s College (44 Devonshire Place).  Students of all genders occupy and have access to amenities in both buildings. Because of the nature of our historic buildings, the rooms come in many shapes and sizes and it is difficult to list the size or shape of rooms (a common question!). First-year students live in a mix of double and single and some triple rooms while upper-year students live in single rooms.

Can I see my room before I move in?

Unfortunately, we are not able to show your specific room over the summer as most rooms are in use by our summer residents and conferences.

Is it possible for me to visit the College before I arrive in September?

At the moment, in-person tours are on hold.  The University of Toronto is providing virtual campus tour opportunities via their Campus Tours website.

Is the College equipped with services for persons with mobility restrictions?

Unfortunately, Trinity College residence is not yet wheelchair accessible and St. Hilda’s College has limited accessibility. We urge those with accessibility needs to contact the Office of the Dean of Students (deanofstudents@trinity.utoronto.caprior to applying for residence so that we can assess our ability to meet your needs. If we cannot meet your needs, there are many readily accessible residences at the University, and we will work with you and Accessibility Services to find suitable housing, honouring the residence guarantee.

The John W. Graham Library, George Ignatieff Theatre, Chapel, Strachan Hall, the Buttery, Gerald Larkin Building, and the ground floor of 6 Hoskin Avenue (where the administrative offices are located) are wheelchair accessible.



Are the rooms furnished? What can I bring?

Each room has a standard complement of furniture, comprised of: a single or double bed, wardrobe or closet, chest of drawers, desk and chair, lamp.

Do NOT bring your own furniture or mattress (e.g., bed, book case, chairs, etc.) as there is no space in the rooms for this and we do not have storage space for excess furniture. College furniture cannot be removed from rooms, and to limit the risk of outside pests, please do not bring your own furniture or mattress. Students who have medical or accessibility-related needs requiring their own furniture or devices must register with Accessibility Services on campus, who will then liaise with the Office of the Dean of Students to assess whether accommodations can be made within residence.

Ways to personalize your space:

We welcome students to make their residence spaces their own for the duration of their stay. In order to help in this endeavour, some students will bring along personal items like rugs, picture frames, posters, etc. Please be reminded that students are held financially responsible for damages incurred in their space during their occupation including for holes in walls, painted walls, etc. For more details surrounding the responsibilities of students in relation to their residence space during their time in residence, please see item #6 of the Trinity College Residence Agreement.

Please note that bedding and linens are not provided by the College.

Items to Bring:

  • Clothes
  • Bedding for a single bed (please note that some rooms are equipped with double beds, and this will be noted in your offer of residence admission)
  • Toiletries
  • Laundry detergent
  • Your computer
  • Books
  • Items to personalize your room (if you want to put up posters you should use poster mounts and avoid nailing) 

What items are not permitted in rooms?

Do NOT bring your own furniture or mattress (e.g., bed, book case, chairs, etc.) as there is no space in the rooms for this and we do not have storage space for excess furniture. College furniture cannot be removed from rooms, and to limit the risk of outside pests, please do not bring your own furniture or mattress. Students who have medical or accessibility-related needs requiring their own furniture or devices must register with Accessibility Services on campus, who will then liaise with the Office of the Dean of Students to assess whether accommodations can be made within residence.

To avoid overloading the electrical circuit (a fire hazard), please limit electrical equipment in your room to small electrical appliances, such as computers, printers, lamps, clocks, radios, stereos, and personal styling items. You may also wish to bring a small “bar” fridge, or to rent one from an off-campus service upon arrival on campus. In double and triple rooms, one bar fridge is permitted due to the risk of overloading the building’s circuits. Feel free to contact the Office of the Dean of Students for help in facilitating communication between roommates prior to move in. In the interest of fire prevention and energy reduction, please ensure that electrical items are turned off when you are not in your room.

The following items are NOT permitted within the residence rooms:

  • Hot plates/induction burners
  • Open flame equipment
  • Candles/incense
  • Halogen lamps
  • Toasters/toaster ovens
  • Electric heaters/space heaters
  • Microwaves
  • Coffee makers
  • Rice cookers
  • ‘Self-heating instant hot pot’ food items
  • Air conditioning units
  • Full size refrigerators
  • Blenders

All students are responsible for ensuring that any electrical equipment is in good working order and all appliances or equipment used in our residence buildings must be approved by the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Many of the above mentioned appliances will cause electrical circuit overloads in our buildings (the power will go out in yours and adjacent residence rooms). Cooking in rooms is not permitted and can set off the fire alarm.  If you have questions about small appliances or are not sure about particular equipment, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students (

What are the common spaces where I can hang out as a residence student?

Trinity College has several common and shared spaces within its buildings that are open to all students. Common areas at Trinity College are listed below.*

  • Melinda Seaman Dining Hall
  • Rigby Room
  • Adams Room
  • Steadman Library
  • Student common rooms within the residence halls
  • Abbott Room Wellness Space
  • Junior Common Room
  • Strachan Hall
  • The Buttery
  • Divinity Common Room
  • Non-Residence Affairs Committee Common Room

Some of these spaces are open 24 hours a day, others have designated hours, some are exclusively for study, others are used for more social activities.

Can I smoke in residence?

Trinity College adopted the University of Toronto’s Smoke-Free Policy, which came into effect on January 1, 2019. The new Smoke-Free Policy applies to smoking or holding lighted tobacco or cannabis, and the use of e-cigarettes or other vaping devices. The smoking ban makes exceptions for Indigenous ceremonial activities and medical accommodation. The Smoke-Free Policy applies to all individuals present on University of Toronto property and Trinity College property at any time and for any purposes, including employees, students, contractors, volunteers and visitors.

Trinity College residences are strictly non-smoking buildings. Residents agree to adhere to the Trinity College Community Standards, which outlines policies regarding smoking in residence.

Can I have alcohol, cannabis, or other controlled substances delivered to the College?

No. Deliveries to the College from the LCBO or of any other controlled substance are not permitted. Packages or deliveries identified as containing controlled substances will not be accepted.

Residents agree to adhere to the Trinity College Community Standards.

How do meal plans work?

Detailed information about meal plans can be found on our Dining at Trinity page and our Residence Fees page.  Meal plan selection opens in July, and can be accessed through your residence application. Meal plan selection is due in August. If you would like to increase your meal plan selection, you can do so between September 9 and September 30. To upgrade your meal plan during this time, log into your StarPortal Account and make changes to your meal plan under the “Change My Meal Plan” link. Please keep in mind that this option is only available up until September 30, at which point you can no longer make changes to your meal plan. Please also be reminded that occupation in residence at Trinity College comes with a meal plan, and unfortunately students are not able to opt out of a meal plan.

Can I cook in residence?

There are kitchenettes available for student use in St. Hilda’s, but not in Trinity.   If you have dietary restrictions which may require you to prepare some of your own food, you are strongly advised to request a room in St. Hilda’s on your residence application, such that we can incorporate these requests into our room assignment process. Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students ( as soon as possible if you forgot to put this on your application.

Are laundry facilities available to students?

Yes. Laundry facilities are available, on a pay-per-use basis, in both residences.

Is storage for sporting equipment available?

Limited storage is available for sporting equipment on campus. Storage is given on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no additional cost.

Is there a residence desk open 24 hours?

Yes. There is a Welcome Desk located in the lobby of the main Trinity College building at 6 Hoskin Avenue that is open 24 hours a day. Students can access the Welcome Desk for maintenance concerns, safety concerns, and other general inquiries.

Can I stay in residence over the winter break?

Trinity residences close for the Winter Break. Residents are only permitted to remain in residence over the winter break period (i.e., between academic terms) if exceptional circumstances are demonstrated. This will require meeting with a staff member from the Office of the Dean of Students and their subsequent approval. There is a charge for each night spent in residence over the winter break. Please note that there is no meal service during the break.

Can I stay in residence over Reading Week in November and/or in February?

The College remains open during both Reading Weeks and students may stay at the College during this time. There may be some closures of vendors on campus. Students will be notified of these closures in the weeks prior to Reading Week.

I’ve seen a pest/insect/bedbug in my room, what do I do?

As with any shared living space, issues with bedbugs and other pests can arise while living in residence. When this happens, the Office of the Dean of Students and the Facilities Services Department work on an individual basis with students to eradicate the issue. In the event of a pest, the College follows pest control protocols and procedures. If you suspect a pest, the first thing you need to do is to report it. Click here for information about pests and how to make a report.



What will my new mailing address be in residence?

Residence room assignments will be sent out over the summer, and will specify your room, building, and mailbox number. Please note that all mail, parcels, etc. should be mailed to the address below, regardless of the building in which you reside:

Your Name
House and Room Number
Mailbox Number (sent to you in the summer – note: this is NOT your room number)
Trinity College
6 Hoskin Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S1H8

Parcels can be accepted by the Trinity College Welcome Desk at 6 Hoskin Avenue. Please note that Welcome Desk staff will not accept deliveries from the LCBO or other distributors of controlled substances including cannabis products. Welcome Desk staff are not able to pay for parcels (Cash on Delivery/COD).

As a residence student you are assigned a mailbox and provided a mailbox key at the beginning of the year. It is important to note your specific mailbox number. Mailboxes are located in the Trinity College mailroom, located on the lower level of the Trinity building at 6 Hoskin Avenue.

Can I use a landline phone in my room?

Residence rooms are not automatically equipped with a telephone set, however most (but not all) rooms do have access to an active phone line, and a phone set may be borrowed from the Welcome Desk for the duration of your stay in residence, at your request. Do not bring your own phone set: it will not function on the College phone system. There is no additional cost for local phone service.

What technology/internet services are provided?

Residence Network (ResNet) 

All student rooms are equipped with ethernet jacks that allow you to connect your own computer to the University of Toronto campus residence network. Activation procedures to access the Trinity College ResNet (wired Residence Network), regulations and computer requirements are provided in hardcopy to students in their Welcome Kits upon arrival in early September. There is also a separate wireless network (appearing as “U of T” on your wireless device), which UTORid holders can access. For more information about access to the networks, read the Internet Access web page and the Trinity College ResNet Rules & Policy.



I am interested in applying or re-applying to live in residence but I have a few specific questions, who do I contact?

You can contact the Office of the Dean of Students at

I’m a current resident and have a question or concern – who do I contact?

You can contact the Office of the Dean of Students at, or the Welcome Desk, either by visiting in person, phoning 416-978-2522, or emailing

Questions? Contact:

Office of the Dean of Students